Things were going great and everyone was having a blast. We had been there for about 2 hours and Beau and I decided to go on the ride called the "Boomerang". We had been on it before and it was Beau's favorite ride. Well our turn came up and Beau wanted to face backwards on the tube. I wasn't that daring yet so I faced forward. We were facing each other and Beau asked the life guard 4 times if it was ok to ride this way. He assured Beau that it was safe. We had seen so many people going this way that we didn't think that it would be a problem. Well the life guard let us go and 1 second into the ride Beau said, "Jen I think I broke my back." (Remember this was 1 second into the ride we still had to finish the ride out with his hurt back). Well I was just thinking that he had just maybe hurt it a little and that he would be able to get back up. After our tube came to a stop he rolled off the tube and just laid there. A few people came running up to see if they could help in any way. Then the life guard realized that he wasn't getting up a whistled for the first aid guys to come. Beau could not move at all so they put him on a board and a stretcher.
Beau was wheeled into the first aid area and there they called the ambulance. Beau kept telling the workers that he wanted to try to get up and walk so that he didn't have to ride in the ambulance. I made the decision for him that he was going in the ambulance.
We had both vehicles there and youth that needed to get home but I really wanted to get to the hospital. We made arrangements for someone to drive our van home with the youth and everyone got home ok. Before the ambulance left I asked them where the hospital was because I don't know Provo at all. They told me the address but by the time I got to my car I really had no idea where I was going. I said a prayer the whole way to the hospital praying that I would find it. I drove right up to it.
To make a long story short he was in the ER for 8 hours and 4 of those hours he had no pain medication because we were waiting for the doctor. He was in so much pain. He had to have an x-ray and a CT scan. Well after talking to the doctor Beau had ended breaking his back in three places. It is called a compression fracture. So Beau was right, he really had broken his back. We both could not believe that this had actually happened.
The ER doctor gave him an ok to go home and come back the next day to see a specialist. As the nurse helped him into the wheel chair Beau passed out (luckily the nurse was a guy and was able to catch him before he fell to the ground). They had to wake him up with the powder. I got really nervous and had to leave the room. I told them that there was no way that I was taking him home if he was going to pass out on me while we were driving (especially at 2:30 AM). He kept throwing up and looked really bad. The doctor finally decided to admit him into the hospital.
The specialist came in the next morning and decided that surgery wasn't needed at this point but that he needed to wear a brace for 3 months. We stayed until about 5:00 PM the next day. Right now he can only lay down and get up long enough to use the bathroom and shower. He is not supposed to sit so those that know Beau, he is already going crazy. I have to keep my eye on him to make sure that he is obeying doctors orders.
We have had so much love and support from family and neighbors. Thanks to everyone that has helped us in any way. Pictures of him and his brace will be coming soon.
10 comments:
poor beau! i can't even imagine how much pain he's in....i don't want to. we have had soooo much fun with your kids! :) we've missed them. we still miss you guys and braxton though!!! we hope to see you guys soon!
Wow! That is crazy! We hope he has a speedy recovery. IF you need anything at all, please call!
Wow Jen, I'm out of town and hadn't heard about this, so I was just holding my breath through your whole post. I'm so sorry that happened, and for what it will mean for the few months ahead. We won't be home until this weekend, but when we're back I'm going to be calling you to see how I can help. I'm sorry I can't do anything before then. Hang in there!
So sorry to hear about Beau! How scary! We love you guys and hope that everything turns out well.
I hope Beau is feeling better.
Hope Beau recovers quickly. It gives me the willies just thinking about having a broken back.
I can't believe he broke his back. That is so crazy. Hope he has a quick recovery. And I hope that you make it through it.
wow, I had no idea! If you need anything please let me know!!
That is crazy. I am still trying to figure out how he broke it that easily. I hope the recovery is going well. At least it happened in the summer. Will he be able to go back to work when school starts or will he have to take a few more weeks?
I am so sorry to hear about Beau. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help you out!
Post a Comment